Friday, April 8, 2011

Catching Up with Prompts

Day 6: Don't -----, -------
(fill in the blanks)

I can't even remember what I was going to write yesterday, so I'm starting at the beginning.

OK, so my poem will be called:
Don't indulge in regret, just get on with it.
(subtitle: precarious balance)

This sounds like a family anthem.
One parent an expert procrastinator
recycling reams of that old computer paper
with holes down the sides, planning,
listing, capturing every detail with ink
before doing what he knew needed doing.

The other an early SuperMum -
jobs in school hours, three kids
and the entire repertoire of house chores
keeping her on the run, no time
for planning, so she left it up to
the other one. Precarious balance.

The eldest child, I copied both.
If I don't write things down
I lose the plot. If I keepdoing things
without a plan, I need time out.
My life one big circus, swinging
from horse's back to trapeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment